Saturday, December 12, 2009

What is Bollywood?

        I am writing this small blog entry because I am contemplating this term of “Bollywood”. I have heard of the term, but I never understood what it meant. I looked into term, “Bollywood”, a bit more. A Bollywood film is, according to Film Experience, as films from India that are “rootedness in Hindi culture and mythology, and elaborate song-and-dance numbers erupting in almost any genre” (415). A film that was told to me to be an example of this is Monsoon Wedding. This movie primarily is about the wedding that the father is trying to arrange a wedding and the events that occur around it. Because it discusses Hindi weddings, it touches base on the India’s culture. I have put a scene below to help demonstrate the music and dance that is scene in these types of films. In addition, traditions that revolves around a wedding. In the scene the women are singing and dancing about the desirable men they wish to wed. Like the definition that was said earlier in the blog, the scene along shows the impact that the hindi culture has.

No comments:

Post a Comment