Friday, December 11, 2009

At Least He Got Out Of China Town

it all comes back to Chinatown. I recently watched Chinatown for the second time and I still think its a movie that I still just can't get my finger. Released in the 1970s, much later film then most film noir films, Chinatown is a detective story starting Jack Nichalson as Gittes. A former police detective from Chinatown that started his own practice in Los Angeles. His work primarily is catching people who are having affairs. The film starts when Gittes comes in and a woman asks Gittes to watch over her husband, who she feels is having an affair. After a few times of following this man, the man is than murdered in a lake. The police feel that it was suicide while Nicholson's character feels it was murder. He then finds out that the woman that hired him is the sister of who she said she was. The next big question is who murder. While searching of this answer, he finds that the city is wasting water in the middle a drought. Does it match up with the murder? Dun dun dun...
I did enjoy this film only to a little degree because of the story and length of the film. I don't particularly like the story very much in the film Chinatown because I feel that is doesn't do enough to simply draw me into and care about the characters. For example, the story doesn’t give me just enough answers to get intrigued but not too much to make the story predictable. I feel that is what this film should have done. I also felt that the pace of the film was just so drawn out that I lost interest both times about part way through. I felt the ending was just ridiculous and not well written by the lines the characters were saying as well as how they were presenting them. I do however feel that Nichalson's character is very smart for he is cocky and arrogant but he can still get beat up and get his nose cut open. I still feel that there is some need to watch this film because it does show the audience what a femme fatale is capable of in film noir. I will explain what that is in my film noir blog entry I plan to write. The Evelyn character is a women that is able to lead Gittes with her mind and body but able to manipulate him from knowing other important parts of the story. She is a strong independent woman. I do feel that the lead characters, Gittes and Evelyn, were the only good concepts of the story for they kept everything moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment