Friday, December 11, 2009

The Maltese Falcon

So much for a piece of metal. Today, I watch the film The Maltese Falcon. This film, which is considered to be one of the first main stream film noir, was not the best movie that I have seen recently. The movie is about Sam Spade, played by Humphrey Bogart, has a woman come into his and his partner Acher’s office, The woman named Wonderly hired Sam to look for her missing sister who was last seen with a man named Flody Thursby. That evening, Sam’s partner is murdered. Sam was then placed under investigation for the murder because he is suspected to have disliked his partner and having an affair with Archer’s wife. In addition, the man that he was suppose to follow, also was murdered. After discovering this, he finds out that the woman gave him a false name. As the story progresses it seems that the focus is about this black silver falcon that is worth a large amount of money and all the characters, both good and bad, are searching for it. I honestly don’t know how I feel about this movie because the film didn’t seem to have the ending that was fulfilling.
After I watched this film, I felt as if I was let down. The main reason was that the entire time the character are chasing this very expensive piece of art, the one that is reveals is a fake. I also found it quite distracting that the female characters looked some what similar, which lead to a majority of the scenes being very hard to understand and let alone distracting. I did however, found that Peter Lorre gave a very wonderful performance, especially after after seeing him in M before watching this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment